Chardon family left without home after real estate transaction mix up

Family given house keys, but old owner still there

CHARDON, Ohio - Kevin and Jeannine Hoynes love their new Chardon home, but explained that moving into it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Kevin Hoynes purchased the beautiful Geauga County ranch in August 2012, but told NewsChannel5 the real estate transaction left his family in the middle of a big mix up.

Hoynes reported he was unable to move his family of five into the house because when he first pulled up with the keys, he found the former owner still inside.

Jeannine Hoynes blamed the situation on the seller's real estate agent, who she claims handed over the keys to the home, but did not have all the contracts properly signed.

Jeannine Hoynes called the Geauga County Sheriff's Department hoping her family could move in, but the effort failed.

"The sheriff just begged me. He told me to get legal representation. This is unheard of. This should have never happened to you. This is an easy fix. Get a hotel," Jeannine Hoynes said. "Thank goodness we had friends who could take us in for the weekend."

Kevin Hoynes told NewsChannel5 his family's personal belongings were held in two large trucks in a parking lot for three days. It was an incident the Hoynes family claims cost them more than $1,400.

Hoynes reported that after numerous phone calls, the real estate company refused to pay for all of his expenses.

"To be handed keys to our home and then several hours later have the keys taken from us is tough," Hoynes said. "People talk about being homeless and you never realize how bad it is until it happens to you."

5 On Your Side contacted the real estate agency involved in this case and it responded immediately. NewsChannel5 will not name the company involved in this case because it quickly agreed to call the Hoynes family and work out an agreement.

Consumers involved in real estate problems can file complaints with the Ohio Department of Commerce Division of Real Estate and Professional Licensing. Consumers can also report real estate problems to the Better Business Bureau, and the Ohio Attorney General.

In some cases, real estate issue can be settled in small claims court.

Print this article Back to Top