Married mother of 3 identified as victim of Willard standoff; police say she was chosen at random

Kim Kelley from New Washington died in standoff

WILLARD, Ohio - "You hate to see this. This woman had three kids. This is pretty tough," Willard Police Chief Mark Holden said.

Thursday, police identified the woman who was fatally shot Wednesday in a standoff at the Willard Family Dollar as Kim Kelley, a 48-year-old married mother of three from New Washington.

An assistant manager, Kelley had only been working at Family Dollar for a few weeks when she and two others were taken hostage by 19-year-old Shawn Shuett. 

Taking his hostages at random, police say he used a .22-caliber rifle he purchased legally at the Ace Hardware next door. They haven't found any indication he even knew his hostages or had a motive to take over the store.

Willard Police said Schuett, of Centerton, barricaded himself in the Walton Street West store for nearly three hours before turning the gun on himself shortly before 8 p.m.

Kelley was shot during the standoff with police. The woman was alive at the scene and flown to Mercy Willard Hospital. However, according to the City of Willard's Twitter page, she died at the hospital.

Police received a series of 911 calls at 5:18 p.m. that the Family Dollar located on Walton Street West had been taken over by a man armed with a rifle. Law enforcement, including hostage negotiators, responded to the scene.

Originally it was believed that Schuett held a gun to a third hostage's head while she drove him to the store, but Thursday police said that she did not drive Schuett to the scene.

Schuett barricaded the front of the store with carts and shelving units. Police used a breaching device to blow out front windows and gain access to the store.

Robbery was apparently not the motive, Holden said. But another motive is not known at this time.

"He made one demand and it was for General Tso's chicken," Holden said.

Schuett was originally from Mansfield and had been living outside Willard in Centerton for about a year, Holden said.

Print this article Back to Top