Ohioans cautioned on dangers of carbon monoxide

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio officials are drawing attention to the dangers of carbon monoxide exposure after a higher than usual annual increase in emergency room visits and poison-control calls related to the colorless, odorless gas.

The Ohio Department of Health and State Fire Marshal say restarting a furnace that's been idle or increased usage of generators and portable heating devices may help explain the trend.

They suggest these safety tips:

          --Install a battery-powered CO detector in your home and check it every six months.

         --Have your heating system, water heater and other gas, oil and coal-burning appliances serviced annually.

         --Never run a car inside a garage attached to the house.

         --Never heat your house with a gas oven.

Print this article Back to Top