Ariel Castro's son Anthony Castro says life sentence 'appropriate'
8:18 AM, Jul 29, 2013
9:02 PM, Aug 1, 2013
CLEVELAND - The son of the Cleveland man who admitted kidnapping, raping and enslaving three women for about a decade said Monday his father belongs in prison for the rest of his life.
In an interview on NBC's "Today" show, Anthony Castro also said he has nothing to say to his father, Ariel Castro, and will not visit him in prison.
Fifty-three-year-old Ariel Castro is expected to be sentenced Thursday to life in prison plus 1,000 years after pleading guilty last week to 937 counts in a deal that spared him the death penalty.
"I think it's the best possible sentence," Anthony Castro said. "I think if he really can't control his impulses and he really doesn't have any value for human life the way this case has shown, then behind bars is where he belongs for the rest of his life."
Anthony Castro, 31, said his father was violent, and Anthony often cried himself to sleep because he had welts on his legs from beatings. Still, he said, he wasn't prepared to hear the details of what his father did to the women.
"I was shocked because of the magnitude of such a crime," Anthony Castro said. "I don't think I could ever imagine anyone doing that that, let alone to find out it was my own flesh and blood, my father."