Erie County Department of Job and Family Services did not comply with law in toddler's death

VERMILION, Ohio - A report says the Erie County Department of Job and Family Services did not follow the law when it came to an investigation into an 18-month-old's malnutrition death.

The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services recently released its review into the agency's involvement in the death of Isaac Alan Brothers-Bartholomew. The disabled toddler was found dead inside his Risden Road home in Vermilion Township on Nov. 6, 2012.

Questions were raised about the way the agency worked with the family, who had a history of abuse and neglect. The report, in part, notes ECDJFS properly initiated an investigation into the matter, but never closed the case properly. The agency also did not "address reported concerns with the child's parents."

Specific details were redacted from the 17-page report which said ECDJFS has 30 days to submit a plan to the ODJFS about "corrective action."

The toddler's parents, Adrienne Bartholomew, 35, and James Brothers, 33, have been indicted for two counts of involuntary manslaughter and multiple endangering children charges, according to the Erie County Sheriff's Office.

Deborah Nelson, 62, the children's grandmother and healthcare provider, is charged with involuntary manslaughter and endangering children.

The couple had six other children, four of who were treated at Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital for malnutrition.

Cuyahoga County Children and Family Services confirmed it first investigated the family after a neglect report was filed in July of 2005 that ultimately was unsubstantiated.

In January 2007, a second neglect report resulted in court ordered protective supervision after medical neglect issues were confirmed.

Cuyahoga County child welfare officials said the court order allowed them to stay involved with the family, consisting of four children at the time, over an 11-month period of supervision.

Cuyahoga Children and Family Services remained involved in the case until December 2007 -- even traveling to the family's new home in Vermilion to ensure the courts and local child welfare officials were fully involved in the case.

Print this article Back to Top