Report: Apple looking into Chinese woman's alleged death after being electrocuted by iPhone 5

A woman was killed while using her iPhone last week and now Apple is investigating the incident.

ABC News, citing a report from a Chinese news outlet, says 23-year-old Ma Ailun was electrocuted when she picked up the iPhone 5 to answer a call while the battery was charging.

Apple's Beijing-based spokesperson told ABC News the company was "deeply saddened" and will fully cooperate in the matter.

Is there cause for concern while using your iPhone?

Professional engineer Donald Johnson said many factors could have been involved and you shouldn't be worried, as low-voltage items like phone chargers don't usually pose a risk.

China is Apple's second largest market following the U.S.

Print this article Back to Top