An Indiana prosecutor has offered Ohio State star cornerback Bradley Roby the opportunity to enter a pretrial diversion program that could result in a misdemeanor assault charge being dismissed.
Roby was arrested this summer after an altercation outside a Bloomington bar. It was alleged that he made contact with an employee of the bar while being refused re-admittance after he had been taken outside in the wake of a fight.
Chief Deputy Prosecutor Bob Miller said Roby, a pivotal player in the Buckeyes' hopes in 2013, has yet to indicate whether he will accept the offer. Miller said the deal is available to first-time, misdemeanor violators and would require the charge to be dismissed if Roby isn't arrested in the next year.
Ohio State football spokesman Jerry Emig said the team had no comment.
Roby has been working out with the second team on defense as a part of his punishment. Coach Urban Meyer has said he would withhold judgment on further sanctions pending Roby's court case.
A telephone message was left Friday for Roby's attorney, Samuel Shapiro, and not immediately returned.
Roby initially was charged with battery resulting in bodily injury, punishable by a year in jail and a $5,000 fine. On Friday the charge was lowered to disorderly conduct, carrying a maximum sentence of 180 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.