Chardon school shooting suspect's family 'devastated'
9:54 PM, Mar 13, 2012
2:09 PM, Feb 22, 2017
CHARDON, Ohio - Relatives of the 17-year-old suspect in a deadly school shooting say they're shocked and horrified by what happened and pray for the affected families.
T.J. Lane is charged with three counts of aggravated murder in the shooting at Chardon High School that killed three students and seriously wounded two more on Feb. 27.
"I can share that we are all shocked and horrified by the actions of T.J.," his aunt, Heather Lane, said in an email posted online Tuesday by The News-Herald in Willoughby.
"Our hearts and prayers remain with the parents and families of Daniel Parmertor, Russell King Jr. and Demetrius Hewlin. Their deaths have left our family grief-stricken," she wrote. "As we all search for the answers, our family continues to work with law enforcement officials. We wish we could offer some answers concerning this horrific act. We have none."
She said the family knows Lane as "a son, brother, nephew, cousin and grandson." She added: "While we are devastated by his acts, we offer him our unconditional love."
Lane attended an alternative school for students who haven't done well in traditional schools; he had been at Chardon waiting for a bus. He is charged with three counts of aggravated murder, two counts of attempted aggravated murder and one count of felonious assault.
Prosecutor David Joyce says Lane has admitted taking a .22-caliber pistol and a knife to the high school east of Cleveland and firing 10 shots at a group of students sitting at a cafeteria table. The motive for the shooting remains unclear, though Joyce apparently has ruled out theories involving bullying or drug-dealing.
Joyce says he expects the case to be moved to adult court, where Lane could face life in prison if convicted. Minors are not eligible for the death penalty in Ohio.
A hearing on the adult-trial issue is scheduled for April 3.