CLEVELAND — The first snowfall of the year has arrived in Northeast Ohio and AAA has some tips to help you survive driving during the winter.
- Stay Home: AAA says do not drive when the weather is poor if you don't have to.
- Do not tailgate: Be sure to keep safe distances between cars to give yourself extra braking room.
- Never use cruise control on slippery roads: If your vehicle hydroplanes or skids, you will lose the ability to regain traction by lifting off the accelerator.
- Slow down: No need to speed during winter weather.
- Don't slam on the brakes: If your car begins to skid, continue to steer in the direction you want your car to go.
- Use extreme caution on bridges: Black ice typically forms on shaded areas of the roadways, and bridges and overpasses tend to freeze first and melt last.