Couple unhappy with Canton Police response time after bullet flies through their window

Posted at 7:18 PM, Jul 20, 2017
and last updated 2017-07-20 19:18:43-04

A young couple from Canton is unhappy with the Canton Police Department's response time after a shot was fired at their home.

Cameron and Desiree Miles reached out to News 5 about the incident. They say they want answers.

A bullet hole through the kitchen window could be seen from outside their house on Tuscarawas Street East. It happened around 11 p.m. Wednesday.

“I heard a big crash. I looked and there was glass everywhere,” Desiree said.

She says the shot was fired while she was making a late night snack in her kitchen.

“I was cool and calm, as best as possible, but my biggest concern was my wife,” said Cameron.

When they called 911, Desiree was told police would be there as soon as they could.

“I called 911 again at around 11:45,” she said. “The 911 dispatcher basically said the officers were busy.”

When police failed to arrive, she called again. She made a total of four calls. On her last call, Desiree says she was told 911 was for life or death situations only, and to not call again.

“Honestly, they said life or death emergency,” said Desiree. “I think that's a life-and-death emergency, especially if you know there's people shooting in the area, there's no reason why officer couldn't come and check things out.”

Police did not arrive until just before noon on Thursday.

“My husband and I are both educators in the Canton City School District,” said Desiree. “We work here, so we have to live here and the fact that we don't feel safe in own home isn't ok.”

She says she contacted News 5 because she wants the community to be aware of what’s going on. She said it is not okay for a bullet to go through anyone's home, no matter where they live.

“It shouldn't be a matter of someone didn't die, so we're not going to come to the home,” said Desiree. “I don't think they did their job yesterday.”

The husband and wife said they want an apology from the Canton Police Department and for the police to just do their job.

“In most neighborhoods, the cops were there within minutes, not hours or half a day that's unacceptable,” said Cameron.

When News 5 visited the Canton Police Station, Captain Dave Davis did not want to go on camera.

He emailed us this statement:

“The Chief of Police would like to add that we are very concerned in regards to this incident.  The safety of our community is our paramount concern and we will certainly investigate this matter fully. 

At this time, we don't have all the information needed to release a full statement.  The Chief of Police has spoken directly to the complainants this morning.”