WASHINGTON — On Wednesday, President-elect Joe Biden will be sworn in as the 46th president of the United States of America.
ABC News coverage of the inauguration will begin at 9 a.m. Watch it live in the media player below:
This year’s swearing-in of President-Elect Joe Biden and Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris will be different than in years past. Increased security measures have been immediately visible since the deadly Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol by loyalists of President Donald Trump.
The inauguration ceremony will be held on the U.S. Capitol’s West Front, one of the locations where a mob overpowered police and stormed the building.
Since the riot, thousands of law enforcement and soldiers from the national guard have stood guard on the streets of Washington D.C. and around the Capitol building.
With the country still battling the coronavirus pandemic, many festivities surrounding the inauguration will be virtual.
How to watch:
- News 5 Cleveland will air the inauguration on TV from 9 AM to 4 PM. Tune in to WEWS Channel 5 to watch.
- Online, News 5 Cleveland will stream ABC News coverage of the inauguration beginning at 9 AM.
- The News 5 app on Roku and Amazon Fire TV Stick
Here is the 2021 Inauguration schedule:
- On Jan. 20, the ceremony, beginning at around 11:30 a.m., will feature musical performances from Lady Gaga and Jennifer Lopez. Lady Gaga, who worked with Biden on a campaign against sexual assault when he was vice president, will sing the national anthem.
- Members of the clergy who are close to the Biden family will deliver the invocation benediction. Andrea Hall, the president of the International Association of Firefighters, which has long supported Biden, will recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Amanda Gorman will read a poem titled "The Hill We Climb."
- Shortly before noon, Harris is set to be sworn in first by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor. Then at about noon ET, Biden will be sworn in by Chief Justice John Roberts.
- Following Biden's inaugural address, there will be a wreath-laying at Arlington National Cemetery with other first families, followed by a virtual parade featuring performances from across the U.S.
- At 8 p.m. EST ABC News will present, “The Inauguration of Joseph R. Biden, Jr. - An ABC News Special,” which will provide reporting on the historic moments from the day.
- At 8:30 p.m. EST ABC will air “Celebrating America,” the prime-time special previously announced by the Presidential Inaugural Committee, including performances from Bon Jovi and Demi Lovato, among others. The event will be hosted by Tom Hanks.