NewsLocal NewsCleveland Metro

Actions

Cuyahoga County ranks third-highest in the state for the pedestrian-related crashes

Posted: 7:21 AM, Oct 03, 2019
Updated: 2019-10-03 07:21:42-04
Cuyahoga County

CLEVELAND — According to numbers released by the Ohio State Highway Patrol, Cuyahoga County ranks third for the number of pedestrian-related crashes from 2016 to 2018, just behind Hamilton and Franklin counties.

Between 2016 and 2018, there were a total of 8,559 pedestrian-related crashes on Ohio roads. Of those crashes, 413 of them were fatal and lead to the deaths of 418 people and seven occupants of other vehicles, according to OSHP.

During that time, there were a total of 1,432 pedestrian-related crashes in Cuyahoga County. Hamilton County had 1,437 and Franklin County had 1,685 crashes.

Authorities say 82% of all pedestrian-related crashes happened within city limits and the other 18% occurred in rural areas. Rural areas had a higher number of fatal pedestrian-related crashes, coming in at 40% across the state.

According to OSHP, with regards to fatal pedestrian-related crashes, a pedestrian was at fault in 51% of the crashes. Around 35% of pedestrians were at fault in injury-related crashes. 55% of fatal pedestrian-related crashes remain unsolved.

You can see a map of Ohio pedestrian-related crashes below:

Pedestrian crash map
Map showing the number of pedestrian-related crashes in each county of Ohio. (Source: OSHP)

Here are some tips from OSHP for both motorists and pedestrians on how to remain safe:

  • Walk on sidewalks whenever they are available. When no sidewalk is available, walk facing traffic as far away from the edge of the roadway as possible.
  • Stay alert at all times, motorists and pedestrians should be prepared in case a hazardous situation arises.
  • Do not be distracted by electronic devices that take your eyes and ears off the road.
  • Pedestrians should wear bright or reflective clothing, especially at night.
  • Pedestrians should cross where motorists expect them to, follow pedestrian signs and signals, and never assume a driver can see you.
  • Motorists are required to yield to pedestrians in a marked crosswalk and in unmarked crosswalks at intersections.
  • Motorists can use bright headlights when legally able to illuminate the roadway and possibly spot a pedestrian walking near the roadway.
  • Motorists should slow down and drive cautiously in residential areas.

“The Patrol reminds both pedestrians and motorists that safety is everyone’s responsibility,” said Lieutenant. Rob Gable, Cleveland Post Commander. “Follow pedestrian signs and signals, always be aware of your surroundings and watch for traffic to ensure you are seen.”