EUCLID, Ohio — A house went up in flames early Saturday morning when a resident on the Cleveland/Euclid border tried to put out a grease fire with water.
The fire happened shortly before 6 a.m. in a second-floor apartment in the 600 block of East 185th Street.
According to Cleveland fire officials, the resident tried putting the kitchen grease fire out with water, but that caused the flames to flare up and spread to the rest of the kitchen.
The resident ran outside and shouted for help. Nearby neighbors heard the man and called the fire department.
Authorities said the apartment, which was located above a beauty supply store, was gutted. The damage is estimated to be in the tens of thousands of dollars. Fire officials said the building with the apartment is connected to two other buildings, but the fire doesn't appear to have spread into those.
Here's what you should do if you have a grease fire in your kitchen, according to firerescue1.com.
1. Cover the flames with a metal lid or cookie sheet. Leave the cover on until it has cooled.
2. Turn off the heat source.
3. If it’s small and manageable, pour baking soda or salt on it to smother the fire.
4. As a last resort, spray the fire with a Class B dry chemical fire extinguisher.
5. Do not try to extinguish the fire with water.
6. Do not attempt to move the pot or pan outside.
Click here to read some home fire safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association.