NewsLocal NewsCleveland Metro


Hit and run victim's family fights motion for driver's judicial release

Posted at 4:20 PM, Feb 06, 2018
and last updated 2018-02-06 16:26:31-05

Pictures and memories are all Jeff Cook has left of his brother Eddy. 

"He wasn't able to be here for any of the major things in my life - my wedding, my kid," Cook said. 

Eddy Roland, 21, was riding his motorcycle in July 2007 when a driver ran a stop sign at E. 186th St. and St. Clair and killed him.

The driver didn't stop or turn around to help. 

Cook said it was others who rushed to help him.

"People were doing CPR, what they could, but it was instant. He was done."

A full-fledged search for the driver followed, and Mario Redding eventually turning himself in when investigators matched car parts left at the scene with a car dropped off at a body shop, according to Cook. 

Redding was sentenced to 17 years in prison in November of 2007 for aggravated vehicle homicide and four unrelated felony drug charges.

Now, less than 11 years into his sentence, Redding has filed a motion for judicial release. A judge is moving forward with a hearing this July. 

Redding filed the same motion last year and was denied. 

"A hearing means the court is considering releasing him," Cook said. 

Jeff Cook told News 5 he and his family don't want to see that go any further.

According to records obtained by News 5, the prosecutor's office doesn't either. They filed an opposition to the motion that details years of Mario Redding's bad behavior behind bars. 

"For the first eight years he was incarcerated, the defendant showed a complete disregard for the rules and regulation of the prison system," it says. 

The opposition filed cites marijuana use behind bars, threatening officers and possessing contraband. It goes on to say that while Redding claims the court made it clear he would be released if he did not get a ticket for a year, "the state remembers this differently and that this court stated that it would consider releasing the defendant if he remained out of trouble."

News 5 did not hear back from the judge or Redding's attorney before publication.