News

Actions

House being rehabbed for new tenants engulfed in fire, nearby residents lose power

Posted at 6:48 AM, Sep 06, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-06 06:50:07-04

A house being renovated for new tenants caught fire early Tuesday morning, and some residents were also left without power due to a snapped power line.

According to Cleveland Fire officials, the house was engulfed in flames when they arrived at the home in the 13000 block of Melzer Avenue. The house was in the process of being rehabbed. No one was found inside the home, but the structure was said to be a total loss. 

Fire officials are still determining a cause. 

As a result of the fire, a power line from the home snapped after getting hot, Cleveland Fire said. The line sparked on the ground while firefighters worked on putting out the fire. A FirstEnergy truck arrived just after 3 a.m. to turn off the power. Several homes were affected.