News

Actions

Judge dismisses case of three East Cleveland men who served 20 years in prison for 1995 murder

Posted: 10:55 AM, Aug 15, 2016
Updated: 2016-08-16 16:24:00Z

A judge dismissed the convictions Monday against three East Cleveland men accused of a 1995 murder.

Collectively known as the 'East Cleveland Three,' a new trial was ordered in March 2015 when new evidence surfaced in the case.

'God is good': 3 Cleveland men convicted for 1995 murder leave jail, granted new trial

In court Monday, prosecutors asked the judge to dismiss the murder convictions. The judge told defendants Derrick Wheat, Laurese Glover and Eugene Johnson that they're free to go. 

"It's been a long fight, a long battle," said Johnson after the courtroom erupted in cheers from family and friends.

Derrick Wheatt said "without family supprt this would have been much harder".

Glover admitted "I don't think I've much sleep," since learning that charges may be dropped.

"Just waiting for this day to come."

The men appeared in court after prosecutors filed a motion to dismiss the case.

Wheat, Glover and Johnson spent 20 years in prison for the murder of a 19-year-old. 

They were released in March of last year when Judge Nancy Margaret Russo granted them a new trial. 

Judge Russo accused former Cuyahoga County prosecutor Carmen Marino of prosecutorial misconduct that led to the unfair conviction.

MORE

Judge denies bond increase in East Cleveland 3 new trial case

Prosecutors appeal new trial ruling for 3 East Cleveland men in wrongful conviction case