Tanisha Anderson family calls for criminal charges against Cleveland cops involved in her death

Officers remain on the force
Posted at 4:10 PM, May 31, 2017
and last updated 2017-05-31 18:23:00-04

The family of a 37-year-old Cleveland woman who died after being restrained by Cleveland Police are renewing calls that officers involved be fired and criminal charges filed.

"It's now been two years, six month and 18 days since my niece lost her life right her on this sidewalk," said Tanisha's uncle Michael Anderson, who is calling on the Ohio Attorney General's Office to conclude an ongoing investigation into the case.

A Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner report found Tanisha Anderson died "while being restrained in a prone position" and ruled her death was a homicide.

The family gathered outside the home Wednesday to mark the spot with a commemorative plaque that reads "May all police and other first responders stay vigilant toward the mentally ill persons they encounter".

Anderson's family called for an ambulance in November 2014 seeking mental health assistance for Tanisha who suffered from bi-polar disorder.

RELATED: Cleveland officers respond to lawsuit, say Tanisha Anderson contributed to own death

Instead, two Cleveland Police officers handcuffed her and pinned her to an icy sidewalk outside the family home after they said Tanisha began to struggle with them as they placed her inside the police cruiser.

A police department internal investigation found the officers "failed to call for an ambulance in a timely manner" and instead waited at least 14 minutes.

Even so, no disciplinary action has been taken and both officers remain on the job while the family is calling for both officers to be fired and criminally prosecuted.

Meanwhile, the investigation continues to drag on following a Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Department review of the case,  that since last November, remains in the hands of the Ohio Attorney General's Office for possible criminal charges.

A spokesperson for the attorney general's office said it cannot rule on the case until an independent, outside medical examiner report is completed to verify the cause of death.

The City of Cleveland reached a $2.2 million settlement in the case earlier this year.