PD: Boyfriend sets girl's stuffed animal on fire

Posted at 10:45 PM, Sep 29, 2015

An argument between a couple led to a man setting his girlfriend’s stuffed animal and bedroom on fire in Cleveland Heights, according to police.

Cleveland Heights Police said 19-year-old Terence Shell entered his girlfriend’s first-floor bedroom window on Lee Road uninvited at about 11:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Download the FREE newsnet5 app: Apple | Android

His girlfriend said Shell was playing with a lighter flicking it off and on when the two began arguing about her cell phone.

Shell wanted to see her cell phone, but she refused to let him, according to the police report.

Shell’s girlfriend attempted to go in the bathroom to get away from him, but police said he forced his way through the door.

When the girl attempted to yell for her grandmother, the police report states Shell put his hands over her mouth and told her to be quiet.

Officers said the girl’s brother attempted to get into the bathroom to help her, but Shell blocked the door with his body.

The girl was able to scream for her grandmother, who told police she came out of her room to find the couple in the hallway.

The grandmother told police Shell had her granddaughter’s phone in his hand.

FOLLOW: on Facebook and Twitter

She demanded Shell give the phone back to the girl, and according to the report, she escorted him out of the front door, instructing him to not come back.

Police said Shell re-entered through a different window in his girlfriend’s bedroom and asked to talk to her.

The girl refused and walked into the living room where police said Shell followed.

Officials state the girl threatened to call his mother, Shell then said “okay” and went into her room.

Less than five minutes later, the girl said she saw a light coming from her room.

When she opened the door, she said a stuffed animal (a rabbit) Shell had bought her was on fire.

SUBSCRIBE: newsnet5 email alerts

Shell was not in the room and had left out the window, according to the police report.

The fire ended up spreading and burning the girl’s bedroom floor, wall and bed set.

The Cleveland Heights Fire Department was able to put the fire out and no one was injured.

While they were talking with her, police said the girl received a text message from Shell that said “sorry.”

Shell has been charged with aggravated arson, a felony in the first-degree.


Follow on Facebook and Twitter 

 Follow @WEWS

Download the newsnet5 app: