Cleveland man attempts carjacking but is unable to drive off with stick shift car

Posted at 3:11 PM, Mar 03, 2017

A man who couldn't drive a stick shift and a teenager with a toy gun were arrested after a failed carjacking in Cleveland last month. 

Damari Wayne, 18, is charged with three counts of aggravated robbery for three separate carjackings, including within the same hour of each other in February, according to police and Cuyahoga County County records. 

Wayne was arrested Feb. 12 after he stole a 2004 Acura by "force" the day before. He was released on a $10,000 bond just a few days later, court documents said. 

On Feb. 21, Wayne and a 15-year-old boy are accused of committing two carjackings. 

The first occurred in the rear parking lot of a Walgreen's pharmacy at 9:19 p.m. on Lorain Avenue. The teen put a toy gun to the right side of a 40-year-old woman and said, "Hold up now, you know what time it is," according to a police report. The woman was in the process of getting her shoes out the vehicle at the time. She asked if she could get her purse and shoes out the car, and the boy told her no.  

Wayne and the boy jumped in the woman's 2015 Jeep Cherokee and threw the woman's shoes out before driving away. They kept the purse.

The woman was too afraid to see what direction they were going.

About an hour later, the teen approached a 23-year-old man who was sitting in his Ford Mustang and told him, "Get out of your vehicle now or I'm going to blow you away," the report said. 

Wayne later appeared and grabbed the man's wallet from the center console and cellphone. The pair held the gun to the man's head as he tried to show them how to drive the sports car. 

The man told police the teens were unable to take off with the car.

Police were able to track the pair to at the RTA station on West 150th Street by using the man's cellphone. Authorities were able to have the train stopped and the doors locked. 

Wayne and the teenager were arrested in the last train car.

Wayne was being held in the city jail on a $100,000 bond. His case has been bound over to a Cuyahoga County grand jury. Wayne is scheduled to appear in court Monday.