Man shot, killed by SWAT officers after 6 hour standoff in Madison Township

Posted at 8:12 AM, Apr 06, 2017

The man who was shot and killed during a standoff in Madison Township overnight had a history of depression and had been drinking before he charged at officers, officials said at a news conference Thursday. 

Neighbors told News 5 they were in shock, when they heard what happened. They described, as a Madison-Township a small and quiet community.

Authorities were called to 1558 Hazel Avenue at 10:23 p.m. for a report of a domestic situation. 

When officers arrived, the woman living at the home said her husband, later identified as 38-year-old Benjamin Gabriel Ailstock, had just been released from the hospital after four days of detoxification. 

She said he was a heavy drinker and, after he returned home, they got into a heated argument regarding his continued drinking. 

During the fight, she gathered up his guns and took them out to the car in the driveway to lock them up since he was drinking. 

She said she called police because he had threatened her.

When Madison Township officers approached the home, they were confronted by Ailstock, who was carrying a handgun and appeared to be drunk. 

He then closed the door and refused to come out. 

After an hour of officers attempting to convince Ailstock to talk to them, the SWAT team was called.

Investigators discovered Ailstock had an extensive criminal history, including charges of assault, felony robbery, battery, resisting arrest with violence, and drug possession.

He was not supposed to have a gun due to a previous felony conviction. 

After about two hours of SWAT officers attempting to contact the man, additional team members were called to respond.

At one point, Ailstock allegedly dropped a shotgun out of the back window of the home and attempted to leave. He then changed his mind and went back inside, leaving the gun behind. SWAT officers recovered the gun and found that it was loaded.

After about five hours of attempted negotiations, Ailstock unexpectedly came out the front door holding a gun.

Authorities said he charged at the SWAT officers and ignored repeated demands to drop his weapon. When he refused, a SWAT officer shot him. 

According to the sheriff's office, a total of three shots were fired. Two hit Ailstock.

He was taken to Madison Medical Campus Emergency Room where he was pronounced dead.