Fourteen dogs who were in South Bend, Ind. for a dog show last week were killed when a circuit breaker in the van they were in failed, causing the air conditioning to shut off.
Police and the Humane Society found the dogs dead inside a box-style truck belonging to Lakesyde Kennels and Handling of Wellington, Ohio on Friday.
The dogs were in town for an American Kennel Club dog show at the St. Joseph County Fairgrounds.
According to the South Bend Tribune, Cortney Corral of Lakesyde Kennels arrived in town Wednesday for the dog show.
The dogs were kept inside the truck which was equipped with air conditioning powered by an extension cord that was plugged into an outlet outside the hotel.
Wednesday and Thursday that setup worked fine.
However, on Friday, Corral fed, watered and let out the dogs before taking a two hour nap inside the hotel.
While she was napping, a circuit breaker in the truck failed, turning off the air conditioning.
By the time Corral returned to the truck, the dogs had already died.
According to the South Bend Tribune, all but one of the dogs was a golden retriever. Three of the dogs were puppies.
Corral personally owned some of the dogs. The others were owned by eight people from around the country.