A two-year-old Akron girl was revived with Narcan after a suspected opiate overdose inside her home.
Police were called to a home on Bank Street Wednesday morning after a man called 911 to report his daughter was unresponsive.
According to a police report, the girl was transported to Akron Children's Hospital where she was given two doses of Narcan and stabilized.
Police suspect the girl ingested Suboxone Film. The drug is a powerful narcotic used to treat people addicted to other opiates, including heroin.
Lt. Rick Edwards said the girl's father has a prescription for Suboxone. Investigators believe the drug's packet was left open, and the girl ingested it.
"This is one of those cases where somebody is being irresponsible by leaving medications or their drug wrappers or drugs laying out where children can get it," Edwards said.
The case remains under investigation. Police are considering child endangering charges.
Edwards said the girl, along with an 8-year-old child in the home, were taken into custody by Summit County Children Services.
"In a case like this, our job is to respond, assess and investigate," said Ann Ream, the agency's spokesperson.
In the past 18 months, five children between the ages of six months and six years have overdosed after ingesting opiates. Edwards said the cases include heroin and fentanyl.
"We're very concerned and highly alerted to the fact that opioids have not only been just concerning for adults that are struggling with addiction, but certainly the impact on the silent victims, the children that we're serving in the county," Ream said.
According to SCCC, some of those kids are now staying with relatives or in foster homes. Social workers conduct at least monthly visits to make sure case plans are followed.
"We're going to have an open case plan and we're going to be working with the family, the primary parents that are involved, or other relatives and working with them on a plan to insure safety," Ream added.
Dr. Gary Thrasher, medical director for ADM Crisis Center Detox Unit, said the close call involving the toddler should serve as a powerful reminder to lock up prescription drugs, like Suboxone.
"It's extremely dangerous if a child puts that in their mouth. They will overdose," Thrasher said. "You cannot leave that laying around where a small child can have access to it."