It's Brittany Houston's birthday but instead of spending it with her loving husband she’s known since she was 16 years old, she's reminiscing with her children about his life that ended too soon.
Anthony Jones was an inmate at The Summit County Jail last year. According to reports, he got into a fight with the deputies there and the next day he was dead.
"Nobody deserves this, nobody deserves to die this way," said Houston while holding back tears. "He died a horrific death."
On Monday, a commission for the Summit County Jail announced they're bringing change. Here are some of the things they want to accomplish:
- Increase their focus on mental health services
- Increase staffing
- Buy 243 new cameras for nearly half a million bucks
- Eliminate blind spots in camera system
- Train deputies to work with diverse populations
- Expand library into a resource room (voter registration info, health insurance info)
Although Houston says nothing can bring her husband back, she's hoping this will ultimately help save someone else’s life.
"I feel like for the future if they implement these policies and procedures and if they understand how to deal with mentally ill people, I feel like it may avoid something happening to the next family," she said.