Several areas across Northeast Ohio saw their first round of winter and snow this weekend, but this is just the beginning.
According to News 5's Chief Meteorologist Mark Johnson, this year doesn't look pretty. The question is: Is your car ready for this winter?
Here are 10 items you should keep in your vehicle during the winter months:
- Ice scraper - A snow and ice scraper with a long handle and brush will make cleaning your car off much easier.
- Windshield washer fluid - This will help keep your windshield clear of salt and snow.
- Flashlight - You may need this in case your vehicle breaks down after dark.
- Blanket - If your car battery dies you'll be glad this is in your trunk.
- First-aid kit - Whatever the season, it's always a good idea to keep a first-aid kit on hand.
- Food and water - If you become stranded during a storm, it's important to stay hydrated and energized.
- Jumper cables - You'll need these in case your battery dies.
- Shovel - Sometimes there's no alternative but to shovel if your car becomes stuck.
- Sand or cat litter - You may need to throw one of these items on the snow under your tires to help gain traction.
- Flares - If your car breaks down or you become stranded these can help alert others near you.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol also recommends keeping at least a half tank of gas in your car at all times during the winter.