CANTON, Ohio — Test results conducted by the Canton Stark County Crime Lab confirm the candy ingested by four middle school students did come back positive for containing THC, the chemical found in marijuana.
Four students at Lehman Middle School ingested candy shortly after the school day started. They were taken to nearby hospitals after they reported feeling ill.
Authorities said at this time they do not have a reason to believe the students who ate the chocolates knew they contained THC.
The student who brought the chocolates to the school is believed to have taken them from her home, knowing they contained the chemical, police said.
When the investigation is completed, the case will be referred to the Stark County Prosecutor's Office.
Superintendent Barbara J. Maceyak released the following statement regarding the incident:
I am both disappointed and troubled that a middle school student would not only have access to marijuana-laced chocolates, but that the student would bring it into our school. This student will be appropriately disciplined. We will use this incident as a teaching moment for our students and say that, unfortunately, we can’t alway be sure that what is being offered to us is an innocent piece of candy. I am thankful that the students who unwittingly ate drugs are fine. We would ask that adults with any type of medicinal marijuana or prescription drugs in their homes, secure them away from their children. The safety and security of our students and staff is our number one priority and our staff will continue to be diligent in monitoring situations as we move forward.