It's been nearly a month since a fatal explosion at the Medina Village Apartments claimed the life of 18-year-old Jacob Drake and his mother, but some residents at the complex said they're living in fear.
Nearly a dozen residents told News 5 they're hoping gas line repairs at the complex are being done correctly, after Medina investigators said the Feb. 9 explosion was fueled by a gas leak from a dryer gas line that wasn't capped properly.
Residents, who didn't want to be identified, said multiple gas leaks were found in their apartments days after the explosion, and that it took up to two weeks to have gas service restored by apartment management.
Some tenants told News 5 they had no hot water or heat for more than a week, and are wondering if apartment management violated state law, section 5321.04, under landlord obligations of the Ohio Revised Code, which states a landlord must provide those utilities at all times.
"The leak in my unit was in the hot water tank, the dryer and the stove," said one tenant. "We had to travel to Brunswick, we had to travel to Lorain just to shower."
"We have the fear of going to bed at night, wondering are we going to wake up alive, are we going to wake up outside."
Some residents told News 5 they're hoping apartment management will give them an early release from their lease.
Medina inspectors said they found dozens of gas leaks at the complex, days after the explosion, and that some hot water tanks and furnaces had to be replaced or repaired.
News 5 contacted the attorney representing Medina Village Apartments about tenant concerns, but our call has still not been returned.