SHAKER HEIGHTS, Ohio — A 65-year-old woman was found dead and multiple people have been displaced following a house fire in Shaker Heights on Wednesday, according to a news release from the City of Shaker Heights.
Around 12:10 p.m., firefighters responded to the 3000 block of Strathavon Road to an active fire.
“I didn’t think the fire that severe as it was,” said Cyrus Ganaway, a tenant who escaped the fire.
As many prepare to open presents for Christmas this year, Cyrus Ganaway says he’s already received his gift, which he says is another chance at life.
“It was really surreal. Like everything happened so fast,” said Ganaway.
Firefighters tell News 5 when crews arrived Wednesday afternoon, they found heavy smoke and flames coming from the building.
“It just filled with smoke. You couldn’t even breath or see anything,” said Ganaway.
Ganaway thanks his neighbor for helping him and his girlfriend quickly get to safety.
“I’m extremely grateful for him because since it was an electrical fire, the minute he alerted us to it, it engulfed the back door,” said Ganaway. “I’m just glad I wasn’t asleep.”
Still, Ganaway says he’s devastated to know the place he once called home is now destroyed, and a life has been lost.
“I’m just kind of in shock,” said Ganaway.
As for the others living in the home, Fire Chief Patrick Sweeney says a father and his two children managed to escape, along with Ganaway and his girlfriend.
“Two young children that had some minor injuries, we transported them down to the hospital,” said Shaker Heights Fire Chief Patrick Sweeney.
At this time, Sweeney says the fire is still under investigation.
But he can confirm it started on the first floor.
While investigators gather more information, Sweeney says the Red Cross is assisting those in need.
Watch live and local news any time:
Download the News 5 Cleveland app now for more stories from us, plus alerts on major news, the latest weather forecast, traffic information and much more. Download now on your Apple device here, and your Android device here.