NewsLocal NewsCuyahoga County

Actions

Bond denied at initial court appearance for Parma father who admitted to killing 5-year-old son

Matthew J. Ponomarenko in court
Posted at 4:03 PM, Mar 29, 2021
and last updated 2021-03-30 06:14:55-04

PARMA, Ohio — Bond was denied at the initial court appearance for the Parma father who admitted to killing his 5-year-old son last week.

Matt Ponomareko, 31, is charged with aggravated murder for the death of Jax Ponomarenko; the father was arrested last Thursday afternoon after Parma police responded to a home in the 4700 block of Russell Avenue, authorities said.

In a 911 call released by police, Ponomareko can be heard telling the dispatcher that he just killed his son and that he was hearing voices. In the recording, Ponomarenko told the dispatcher he killed his son with a baseball bat.

RELATED: ‘I just killed my son...I am hearing voices’ — Parma man charged with murder of 5-year-old boy

At the hearing at Parma Municipal Court, the prosecution and Ponomareko’s defense attorney agreed to no bond, and the county can readdress bond or bail once his case is transferred to Cuyahoga County court.

Ponomareko’s next court appearance is scheduled for Friday at 9:45 a.m.