Family of Euclid High School football player who died said he had no underlying health conditions

Posted at 5:49 PM, Sep 26, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-27 16:11:49-04

On Tuesday the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's office said Andre Jackson's cause of death was a small bowel laceration due to blunt impact to the abdomen. Earlier this week video released by the Solon City School District showed Jackson getting hit by an opponent's foot in the abdomen during Friday's game. Jackson died Sunday, one day after he was released from the hospital.

“Nobody is ready to lose somebody they love," said Tevonte Jackson, Andre's older brother. "I’m going to miss him."

The Jackson family said Andre had no underlying health conditions.

Head football coach Jeff Rotsky said the incident happened during a "completely normal play."

"It was a pooch kick," said Rotsky. "He was going for the ball, and their guys were going for the ball, and I think he got kicked or kneed."

Euclid High School's football team played against Solon High School Friday night at Solon. The Solon fire department confirmed paramedics transported Andre to the hospital after he had walked off the field because he had an abdominal injury.

“He was conscious and talking with the paramedics," said Solon Fire Chief William Shaw.

Shaw said Jackson's family requested that he be taken to University Hospitals Ahuja Medical Center in Beachwood.

“Frequently, we defer to the patient’s choice unless of course their condition dictates otherwise," said Shaw.

Ahuja has a pediatric emergency department but no trauma center.

In a statement, University Hospitals said Andre was released from the hospital Saturday. An ambulance took the 17-year-old full back and outside linebacker to UH Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital Sunday.

The Jackson family said they called for help when they found him on the floor not breathing Sunday.

“I wasn’t ready for that," said Tevonte Jackson who performed CPR on Andre. "The last time I saw my little brother, he was dead.”

University Hospitals released the following statement Monday:

"Andre Jackson was brought to UH Ahuja Medical Center on Friday and released Saturday morning.  He was brought by EMS to UH Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital on Sunday (September 25) evening, where he passed away.

We express our deepest sympathy to Andre’s family.  We are conducting a full review of his care and will be meeting with his family.  Due to patient privacy we cannot comment further at this time."

An autopsy is being performed by the Cuyahoga County medical examiner but results are not available yet.

Friday's homecoming game for Euclid High School will still be played as scheduled, according to school district officials. There will be a moment of silence and a balloon release prior to the start of the game.