NewsLocal NewsLorain County


Fire officials: Person soldering pipes may have caused fire at historic Columbia Ballroom

Columbia Ball Room Fire.jpg
Posted at 1:54 PM, Mar 07, 2020
and last updated 2020-03-08 08:51:42-04

COLUMBIA STATION, Ohio — A ballroom in Columbia Station that has been a popular spot for wedding venues and dances for nearly a hundred years caught fire Saturday afternoon.

The Columbia Ballroom, 24883 Royalton Road, was built in 1931. According to its Facebook page, the ballroom “combines elegance and charm in a rustic country setting."

Crews responded to the location around noon.

According to Columbia Fire Chief Ray Anthony, a preliminary investigation indicates that someone was soldering pipes for some restoration work and solder got into some insulation and ignited.

The chief wasn't able to provide an estimate for the monetary amount of damage but said that the state fire marshal has been called in.

Authorities have not provided any additional information.