Several in Elyria plant reportedly sick from Carbon Monoxide fumes

Posted at 9:24 PM, Nov 23, 2016
and last updated 2016-11-23 23:39:11-05

Multiple people were transported to the hospital after reports of becoming sick from Carbon Monoxide fumes in Elyria on Wednesday night. 

According to Lorain County Sheriffs, the incident happened around 8:25 p.m. on Liberty Court in the area near Route 57 and Schadden Road at Lorain County Automotive Products.

Around 70 employees were affected from the fumes and as many as a dozen squads have responded to the scene including squads from Avon, Sheffield, Sheffield Village, and Elyria.

Employees told dozens of workers at the plant developed severe headaches, and some even passed out from the fumes.

The plant manager told News 5 the heating ventilation system failed at 8 p.m. and was likely caused by a contractor who is trying to repair the heating system. At least six people were transported to the hospital for observation but are expected to be okay.

Two employees were admitted to Elyria Regional Medical Center for extended treatment.

The company make part for automotive seats.

Officials from the Elyria Fire Department and Columbia Gas are still searching for an official cause for the incident. 

Lorain County Automotive Products will remain closed through the holiday weekend as they try to determine the source of the bad ventilation system. 

News 5 will update as more information becomes available.