Motorists who use Interstate 76 and Interstate 77 in Akron are in for some big changes.
ODOT, which is building a new section of South Main Street, has shifted northbound traffic. South Main now connects with South Broadway much farther north than it previously did, according to News 5 media partners at Ohio.com.
The work is part of an $84 million project to reconstruct the I-76 and the I-77 interchange with South Main and South Broadway.
More traffic changes are taking place:
- The westbound I-76 and I-77 exit ramp to South Broadway and downtown Akron will be closed for two weeks.
- The Grant Street exit ramp from eastbound I-76 and I-77 will be closed permanently when the new South Main entrance ramp opens.
- The South Broadway-Thornton Street intersection will be closed for two weeks as the new westbound I-76, I-77 exit ramp to South Broadway finished and opened.
- The new South Main entrance ramp onto eastbound I-76, 77 will be open in mid-November.
- The eastbound I-76, 77 exit ramp to I-77 southbound and northbound I-77 exit ramp to westbound I-76,77 will reopen in mid-November
The southbound State Route 8 ramp to westbound I-76,77 will remain closed until next year.
The entire project is scheduled to be completed by July 2020.
For updates on daily traffic, refer to the News 5 traffic page here.