AKRON, Ohio — The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way students meet with employers to kick start their careers, so the University of Akron’s Career Services is helping students get face-to-face time with employers and company recruiters.
“Since virtual environments require fewer logistics, Career Services will be able to increase the number of student preparation sessions and recruiting events that we can offer this fall,” said Laura Carey, director of Career Services at UA, in a statement. “A Virtual STEM Graduate Student Career Fair is being offered for the first time on Oct. 14 and a Virtual Student Employment Job Fair was offered in August.”
During the virtual career fairs, students have the option to meet with employment recruiters and make their "elevator pitch" during 30-minute general group sessions and one-on-one 10-minute sessions.
After these meetings, employers may connect with individual students to go over specific details about available job openings and potential interviews.
“Data has shown that many employers prefer virtual career events because they allow recruiters to devote more time to meeting with students,” said Carey. “Plus, recruiters don’t have to travel or find their way around campus if they’re out of the area. This really opens up more opportunities for companies to find suitable employees and allows more companies to attend our career fairs for the first time.”
Upcoming virtual internship and career fair events include:
- Wednesday, Sept. 16, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (part-time, seasonal, non-degree full-time only)
- Tuesday, Sept. 29, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 30, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 1, 2-6 p.m.
College of Engineering and Polymer Science Virtual Career Fairs:
- Monday, Sept. 21, 1-4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Sept. 22, 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1-4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 23, 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1-4:30 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 24, 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1-4:30 p.m.
Find information on the virtual career events here.