DALLAS: Johnny Manziel case sent to grand jury

Posted at 5:59 PM, Feb 25, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-25 18:46:58-05

Dallas police announced on Thursday that Johnny Manziel's domestic violence case involving his ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley is headed to the grand jury, which will consider whether to charge the troubled Cleveland Browns quarterback on allegations that he attacked Crowley.

Police released a statement that stated they have asked the Dallas County District Attorney's Office to present a misdemeanor domestic violence case to the local grand jury. Such a charge carries a maximum punishment of one year in jail and a $4,000 fine.

Manziel's attorney, Bradley Beckworth, didn't immediately return an email seeking comment Thursday. Manziel's agent and marketing agency have both dropped him, and the Browns have indicated they will release Manziel as early as March 9, when the league begins its new calendar year.

The 2012 Heisman Trophy winner and Texas A&M star was accused by ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley of hitting her and threatening to kill her during a night out on Jan. 30. Crowley said Manziel accosted her at a Dallas hotel and later struck her when they drove back to her apartment in Fort Worth.

In an affidavit, Colleen Crowley claimed she lost hearing to her left ear after ex-boyfriend Johnny Manziel hit her.

Crowley gave her side of the story of what happened between herself and Manziel the night of Jan. 29, when the two were spending time with each other and other friends in Dallas. In the police report from that night , Crowley told police Manziel hit her several times while they were in an argument. The affidavit Crowley completed included even more details from the incident. 

Read the full affidavit here.

RELATED | Police report claims Johnny Manziel hit girlfriend multiple times

The Dallas Police Department obtained medical records for Crowley as part of the investigation, according to ESPN. 

Crowley requested and was granted a protective order against the 23-year-old quarterback that prevents him from seeing her for two years. The order also requires Manziel to stay at least 500 feet from her home and place of work, and that he pay $12,000 in legal fees.

Crowley alleged she and Manziel had a confrontation in a Dallas hotel room, which eventually continued downstairs to the valet station. She said he forced her into a car and a valet disregarded her pleas for help. The two eventually drove to where her car was parked in front of a Dallas bar, she said in an affidavit. She accused Manziel of getting into the driver's seat and beginning to drive her.

She said she tried to jump out, but he stopped the car, dragged her back inside and hit her.

She said Manziel threatened to kill himself as he drove her back to Fort Worth, about 30 miles west of Dallas, where police were called.

Dallas police announced on Feb. 5 that they were investigating the case. In the wake of the allegations, Manziel's father said the family had made two recent, unsuccessful attempts to get him into a rehab clinic.

Manziel, who entered the NFL with a reputation for partying and drinking, spent 73 days last winter in a Pennsylvania treatment center specializing in care for alcohol and drug dependency.

And this wasn't the first time the ex-couple got into an argument with police involved. In October of 2015, Manziel and Crowley were pulled over for a domestic argument, and he admitted to drinking. Dash cam video was released by police. Manziel was cleared for any wrongdoing during the incident.