CANTON, Ohio — Beginning Monday, motorists on Interstate 77 in Canton may be planning an alternative route for the next two years as construction on a ramp is slated to begin.
The U.S. 30 westbound ramp from I-77 northbound will close Monday evening until late fall 2022, according to the Ohio Department of Transportation.
Motorists will be able to use I-77 north to the state Route 800 exit, re-entering I-77 north to U.S. 30 eastbound to Cherry Avenue to U.S. 30 westbound as a detour.
The closure is part of a pavement replacement project that includes bridge replacement and work on the U.S. 30 westbound ramp bridge, ODOT said.
I-77 northbound will also be reduced to one lane on Monday and Tuesday. Motorists in the area should expect delays.
Additional closures and detours in the area are planned beginning this week:
- On Monday, December 7 and Tuesday, December 8, I-77 northbound will be reduced to one lane. Motorists can expect delays in the area.
- Beginning on Monday evening, December 7, the ramp from I-77 northbound to U.S. 30 westbound will be closed through late fall 2022. The detour will be I-77 northbound to State Route 800 exit then re-enter I-77 northbound to U.S. 30 eastbound to Cherry Ave. to U.S. 30 westbound.
- On Tuesday, December 8, between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., the ramp from I-77 north to State Route 800 will be closed. The detour will be I-77 north to State Route 172 to I-77 southbound to State Route 800.
- On Tuesday morning, December 8 between 7 a.m.. and 12 p.m. noon, the ramp from State Route 800 southbound to I-77 northbound will be closed. The detour will be I-77 south to Faircrest Rd. to I-77 northbound.
- On Tuesday afternoon, December 8, between 12 p.m. noon and 5 p.m., the ramp from State Route 800 northbound to I-77 north will be closed. The detour will be I-77 south to Faircrest St. to I-77 northbound.
- On Tuesday evening, December 8, between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., the ramp from U.S. 30 westbound to I-77 northbound will be closed. The detour will be I-77 southbound to State Route 800 to I-77 northbound.
- By 10 p.m., Tuesday, December 8, motorists traveling on I-77 northbound between State Route 800 to just north of U.S. 30, should be aware of a bi-directional traffic pattern. Although two lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction on I-77, northbound traffic will be split, with one lane of northbound traffic crossed over onto I-77 southbound, while the second lane remains on I-77 northbound via the State Route 800 exit.
- Traffic wishing to proceed on I-77 northbound should use the left lane. The right lane of I-77 north must exit at State Route 800. This is the I-77 north alternate route between State Route 800 and State Route 172. The route is I-77 north to State Route 800, re-enter I-77 north to U.S. 30 east to Cherry Ave. to U.S. 30 west to I-77 north.