Carbon monoxide poisoning suspected in death of Richland County couple

WOOSTER, OHIO - The Richland County Sheriff's Office and the Washington Township Fire Department are investigating after a couple was found dead inside their home. 

The bodies of 29-year-old Cody Keller and 34-year-old Megan Keller were discovered inside their residence on Touby Road in Washington Township around 8:51 a.m. Wednesday.  Authorities also located a deceased dog inside the residence along with the couple.

Megan Keller, who is a safety administrator supervisor for the Wooster Police Department, didn't show up for her shift on Wednesday, which prompted Richland County Sheriff's Department to conduct a wellness check.

"It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of our friend Megan Keller," Wooster Police Chief Matthew Fisher said in a press release. "She was a hard worker and always made sure that things were done right. Her smile, laugh and thoughtfulness will be greatly missed by those that knew her best."

"The Gorman-Rupp Company was deeply saddened to hear of the sudden and tragic passing of our employee, Cody Keller, and his wife, Megan Keller, this morning," said a statement from The Gorman-Rupp Compnay. "[Cody] is described as dependable, upbeat and an overall wonderful guy - always having a lone-line joke to lighten the day. He will be sorely missed."

The Richland County Coroner's Office said they suspect carbon monoxide as the cause. 

According to the police report, a new coal burner was recently installed in the house and may have been where the suspected carbon monoxide leak originated from.

Print this article Back to Top