News

Actions

Cincinnati's Cameo Night Club will shut down permanently in wake of shootings, owner says

Posted: 4:41 PM, Mar 27, 2017
Updated: 2017-03-28 10:12:45Z

CINCINNATI -- The owner of the nightclub where one person was killed and 16 others were wounded by gunfire will close down the business permanently March 31, he said Monday in a news release.

"Earlier this morning, Cameo received a notice to vacate the premises from the landlord and owner of the property," Jay Rodgers, the club owner, said. "Cameo notified the (property) owner that although it had planned to move out in May due to the landlord’s planned sale of the property, it will instead voluntarily surrender possession of the property immediately."

In a letter attached to the release, Rodgers requested that the property owner continue to cooperate with police investigating the shooting.

Letter from Cameo owner to landlord by WCPO Web Team on Scribd

Earlier Monday afternoon, Rodgers had surrendered Cameo's liquor license at the request of the city. 

He said in the release that reports of people being allowed into Cameo without a security check on the night of the shooting were false. Angel Higgins, a woman who was shot in the leg, said she had not been checked before entering and believed that other patrons had received the same pass from security.

Check back for more on this developing story.