NewsContinuing CoverageFrank Q. Jackson


Mother of man killed in shooting connected to Cleveland mayor’s grandson files lawsuit against mayor, chief of police

Posted at 6:43 PM, Nov 07, 2019
and last updated 2019-11-07 18:43:27-05

CLEVELAND  — The mother of Antonio Parra, the 30-year-old man who was shot and killed on a Cleveland street in August, has filed a lawsuit against Cleveland’s mayor and chief of police, claiming that the mayor worked with prosecutors to cover up an alleged domestic assault by the mayor’s grandson, whose car was later connected to Parra’s death.

The lawsuit was filed Thursday by Andrea Parra against Mayor Frank Jackson and Chief of Police Calvin Williams. It heavily cites media sources, including News 5, as evidence of its claims.

The lawsuit claims that Jackson’s grandson, Frank Q. Jackson, and juvenile great-grandson, who live in the mayor’s home, have an “extensive history of violent and gang-related criminal activity that have long been known to the Mayor.” The suit claims that Frank Q. Jackson is the leader of the “No Limit-700 gang,” and that the mayor’s great-grandson is also a member in the gang.

The lawsuit claims that Cleveland prosecutors, with the Mayor’s knowledge and approval, covered up the assault of an 18-year-old woman by Frank Q. Jackson in June of 2019. The Cleveland Law Department defended their decision not to charge Frank Q. Jackson due to lack of evidence and because the victim declined to press charges.

Frank Q. Jackson was charged in September by the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office with four felony counts for the alleged attack, four months after the attack and one month after Parra’s death in August.

The lawsuit goes on the claim that the “culture of impunity” fostered by the mayor culminated in the death of Parra, who, on Aug. 28, was “was shot to death in broad daylight by two men who fled the scene in a vehicle registered to the Mayor’s grandson.”

The lawsuit claims that Mayor Jackson then obstructed police’s investigation of Parra’s death, based on “anomalous and unexplained deviations from established police policies and procedures.”

Mayor Jackson is accused in the lawsuit of wrongfully causing the death of Parra by obstructing the prosecution of Frank Q. Jackson for the assault in June. Had Frank Q. Jackson been held responsible for the assault immediately after it happened, “reasonable minds may conclude that Antonio Parra would be alive today,” the lawsuit contends.

The lawsuit also claims that Parra was murdered by affiliates of Mayor Jackson’s relatives in August to gain status or favor in the No Limit-700 gang.

While Frank Q. Jackson was named by the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael C. O’Malley as a suspect in Parra’s homicide, he has not been arrested or charged in connection with the death. Through his attorney, Frank Q. Jackson denied any involvement in the shooting.

Mayor Jackson and Chief Williams are both accused of intentional infliction of emotional distress against Andrea Parra.

“As a direct and proximate result of Defendants’ extreme and outrageous conduct in obstructing the investigation of her son’s murder, Andrea Parra has suffered severe harm, including anxiety, depression, and post traumatic stress disorder,” the lawsuit states.

Finally, Mayor Jackson and Chief Williams are accused of obstruction of justice for allegedly obstructing the investigation into Antonio Parra’s murder.

The lawsuit seeks at least $25,000 for Andrea Parra in punitive damages, attorneys’ fees, costs, expenses and any other relief deemed equitable and just by the court.

News 5 reached out to Cleveland police and the mayor’s office for comment on this lawsuit.

Sergeant Jennifer Ciaccia with Cleveland police stated: “The city of Cleveland Division of Police does not comment on ongoing litigation.”

A representative from the mayor’s office responded: “We are not commenting at this time.”

Read the full lawsuit here.

RELATED: See continuing coverage of Frank Q. Jackson here.