2-year-old boy overdoses on opiate in Akron

Posted at 4:24 PM, Mar 08, 2017

A 2-year-old in Akron was rushed to the children's hospital for an opiate overdose Wednesday morning, police say. 

The 911 call paints an ugly, scary picture, and a side to the opiate epidemic we haven't seen before. 

"His lips are blue," the caller tells the dispatcher. "He's having a hard time breathing."

The 2-year-old child was lying unconscious on the floor.

"Does he respond at all?"


According to Akron's police report, the child's father said he was playing a video game, not supervising his son. He admitted to police that he's a drug user.

"It appears at this point it was ingested," said Akron Police Lieutenant Rick Edwards. "Some drugs laying around, the child got into it. Touched it. And put drugs in his mouth."

Lorain police: Dad overdoses with infant in car while mother overdoses at home with other kids

News 5 went to the house where it happened and no one answered, but Lieutenant Edwards told News 5 the little boy's guardians will be hearing from police. Charges are pending a full toxicology report on the toddler. 

"They are looking at felony child endangering charges," he said.

The little boy has been placed in the care of Summit County children's services.