AKRON, Ohio — A United States Postal Service (USPS) stamp featuring Akron’s Stan Hywet Gardens will be released Wednesday as one of 10 gardens across the country on the “American Gardens” Forever stamp.
The pane of 20 stamps features 10 different photographs taken by Allen Rokach between 1996 and 2014.
The gardens include:
- Biltmore Estate Gardens (North Carolina)
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden (New York)
- Chicago Botanic Garden (Illinois)
- Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens (Maine)
- Dumbarton Oaks Garden (District of Columbia)
- The Huntington Botanical Gardens (California)
- Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park (Florida)
- Norfolk Botanical Garden (Virginia)
- Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens (Ohio)
- Winterthur Garden (Delaware).
Among the 10 different pictures, the garden's iconic Birch Tree Allee is featured on the top right pane of stamps.
The Birch Tree Allee is an iconic part of the garden with a 550-foot long "alleyway" of trees consisting of more than 100 gray birches growing from the original root stock.
Overtime, the trees have formed a corridor with natural light and shadows popping through the branches. At the very end of the allee, visitors are stunned with an overlook of the Lagoon and distant views of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens: 714 North Portage Path Akron, Ohio