The Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services has cited the daycare of 4-year-old Aniya Day-Garrett, a child who allegedly died at the hands of her mother and her mother's boyfriend, for not reporting signs of her abuse to the proper authorities.
According to ODJFS, Harbor Crest Childcare Academy in Euclid failed to notify the state when childcare workers contacted EMS to transport Aniya for medical treatment in May 2017.
Harbor Crest is required to file a corrective action plan by end of day Tuesday to address the citation.
On March 11, 2018 Aniya’s lifeless body was found by Euclid police inside her mother’s apartment. Two days later Aniya’s mother, Sierra Day, and her mother’s boyfriend, Deonte Lewis, were both charged with aggravated murder.
According to the medical examiner’s office, Aniya died of blunt force trauma to the head. Records kept by her daycare revealed that she had been a victim of abuse for three years. DCFS had been in contact with the mother Sierra Day on three occasions before she allegedly killed her daughter.
The girl's abuse had been documented by the daycare since 2015.
According to police, the daycare's incident reports concerning Aniya included:
- September 17, 2015: Bruise to right side of face, looked like a hand print.
- October 22, 2015: Bruise to the right side of face, looked like a hand print. Child cried most of the day.
- September 12, 2016: Bruises on face, eye and arm. Mother stated that Aniya had fallen out of bed and she had removed some bandages where Aniya had gotten shots.
- September 21, 2016: Bruises on her face, under her eye and on her eye lid. Aniya stated that mom did it.
- October 25, 2016: Bump on head. Aniya was crying.
- December 1, 2016: Aniya had a bruise under her right eye and was crying. Aniya stated that mom had hit her. Mom stated it happened at Applebee’s
- December 2, 2016: Bruise on left? (sic) Aniya stated that mom had been hitting her.
- December 6, 2016: Rug burn type scar on left elbow. Aniya said that mom hit her.
- December 27, 2016: Bruise on forehead. Mommy hit me.
- January 18, 2017: Aniya came to school with several bruises on the face, arm and back. Aniya has a raised bruise on her left upper forearm. When asked about it, Aniya stated that her mommy had scratched her.
- February 10, 2017: Aniya has a dark-colored bruise under her left eye. Aniya stated that mom did this. Staff had noticed bruises on her every day when she comes in.
- March 14, 2017: Right side of lip. Busted lip.
- May 15, 2017: Scrape on top and under nose. Mother said child fell at the park. Child says mommy pushed her down at home.
- May 18, 2017: Right side of head and ear. Swollen and dried blood.