NewsLocal NewsCleveland Metro


Elementary school student injured when her phone became hot while sitting in class

Posted at 11:51 AM, Mar 14, 2018
and last updated 2018-03-14 18:26:52-04

An 11-year-old girl was taken to the hospital Wednesday morning after a cell phone became hot in her lap at school, prompting her to throw the phone on the floor.

According to a Cleveland Fire Department spokesperson, the girl was transported to MetroHealth Medical Center with minor injuries.

The incident happened at William Cullen Bryant Elementary School, 3121 Oak Park Ave, Cleveland. 

Roseann Canfora, the spokesperson for Cleveland Metropolitan School District, confirmed the phone was in the student's lap when she felt something warm. When it became very hot, she threw it on the floor, which caused the spark.

The teacher evacuated the class while fire officials inspected the phone. Officials saw no fire hazard so the students returned to the building.

Fire officials said the phone was an HTC but didn't specify the model. The student didn't have cell service on the device and only used it with Wi-Fi.