NewsLocal NewsCleveland Metro


Two teens arrested in east side shooting that killed a 12-year-old boy

Posted at 6:45 PM, Nov 27, 2017
and last updated 2017-11-28 12:52:59-05

Cleveland police have arrested two teenagers in connection with the Friday shooting death of a 12-year-old boy. 

The first teen was taken into custody on Monday.  The second teen was arrested Tuesday morning. They are both 15 years old. 

One teen was arraigned in court Tuesday morning.

A motion was filed to have his case bound over for him to be tried as an adult.  According to court records, the teen is facing a slew of charges including aggravated murder, murder, attempted murder and felonious assault.

A court date for the second teen has not been set.

Police say five boys, ages 14 to 16, were outside a row of stores on Buckeye Road when three to four males began firing at them. 

“We’re far from done with this case," said Cleveland Police Chief, Calvin Williams. “There’s no official gang affiliation that we can come up with right now. Were there two separate groups? Of course, but we don’t know what the factors are that motivated the one group to actually open fire on the other group."

Abdel Latif Bashiti was shot in the torso when he and his father, who owns a beauty supply store on Buckeye Road, went outside to see what was going on. He later died from his injuries.

“Powerful guns in the hands of immature people lead to these kinds of outcomes," said Cleveland Mayor, Frank Jackson.

Beauty supply store owner's 12-year-old son killed in Buckeye Road shooting

A total of six juveniles were shot during the incident.

“We have more people that are younger and younger, more aggressive, having access to guns," said City Councilman Blaine Griffin, who represents the Buckeye neighborhood where Friday's shooting took place.

"That’s something that is a problem in our community and it’s something that we need to address at every level," he said.

Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson, Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams and Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael O'Malley all called Friday's shooting a "senseless act of violence."