68-year-old woman in wheelchair killed in Sheffield Township house fire

SHEFFIELD TOWNSHIP, Ohio - A 68-year-old woman was found dead inside her Sheffield Township home following a house fire Tuesday afternoon.

A passerby who saw the house on fire called 911. When firefighters arrived on scene and searched the home, they found 68-year-old Betty Janson seated in her wheelchair inside her bedroom.

The Ashtabula County Coroner's Office said Janson was pronounced dead at 2:19 p.m. 

It's believed Janson died of smoke inhalation, according to the coroner.

Crews said the fire started in the kitchen and appeared to be caused by an electrical issue.

A couple of dogs were rescued from the fire but Janson's pet bird was found dead inside the bedroom.

Janson's adult son lives with her but wasn't home at the time of the fire.

 

Print this article Back to Top