NewsLocal NewsCuyahoga County

Actions

House fire on Meadowvale Ave. sends man, woman to hospital

Posted at 9:22 AM, Mar 11, 2018
and last updated 2018-03-11 09:36:45-04

A house fire on Meadowvale Ave. sent two people to the hospital early Sunday morning.

The Cleveland Fire Department said the blaze started just before 6 a.m. inside the half-story home.

Officials said the 67-year-old woman jumped out of a bedroom window after the flames broke out. Fire crews then had to pull a 58-year-old man out from the home. The man was unconscious but breathing at the time.

The couple was transported to MetroHealth Medicial Center in critical condition. 

While the fire is still under investigation, the department believes it may have started in the living room, where there is significant damage. 

A family member of the woman told News 5 a space heater may be to blame, however officials haven't made an official ruling.

Fire officials also said the home didn't have working smoke alarms. 

"They're vital," Cleveland Fire's Public Information Officer Mike Norman said. "This is all about giving residents enough notice so they can get out of the house. You have less time than you think. You have about two minutes to get out of the house." 

Norman said your home should have working smoke alarms on every floor and in every bedroom where people sleep.

"These fires get going and they burn quicker than they did in the past, so you actually have less time with the modern materials inside of your house." 

A reminder that Daylight Saving is a good time to replace the batteries in your smoke alarms and make sure they are working properly.