News

Actions

Woman hospitalized after a fire and explosion at an Old Brooklyn home

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WEWS.png
Posted at 4:34 PM, Sep 03, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-03 16:34:57-04

One woman was hospitalized after a house caught fire and a propane tank exploded Saturday afternoon at a home in Cleveland's Old Brooklyn neighborhood.

Larry Gray, spokesman for Cleveland Fire, said the home was occupied at the time of the fire and most made it out safely. One woman was transported to Cleveland's MetroHealth hospital. Her injuries are not believed to be life threatening.

The home, located on the 4300 block of West 48th Street, suffered significant damage to its front. The first and second story porches were completely charred and firefighters could be seen gutting portions of each. A neighbor's home also suffered siding damage during the blaze.

Thomas Rees, a neighborhood resident, witnessed the fire firsthand. 

"This was pretty bad," said Rees. "The whole front was engulfed, smoke was everywhere. The propane tank exploded, shot fire and glass everywhere. 

"It went up really fast, and the fire department put it out even faster. ... I just hope no one died. Hope everybody is okay, animals included."