NewsLocal NewsAkron Canton News

Actions

Akron Children's Hospital to begin rescheduling surgeries, implementing visitor changes

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WEWS.png
Posted at 9:29 AM, Apr 29, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-29 09:29:15-04

AKRON, Ohio — Akron Children’s Hospital announced it will be expanding the number and types of procedures available to its patients after Gov. Mike DeWine announced last week that hospitals could resume elective surgeries and procedures.

The hospital said it’s still finalizing the plan and will reach out to families whose appointments have been put on hold.

“We are still finalizing our remobilization plans, and clinical teams will be reaching out to families regarding those surgeries, procedures and in-office appointments that had been put on hold,” said Lisa Aurilio, chief operating officer for Akron Children’s. “We plan to proceed slowly as our top priority is the safety of our patient families and employees, and preventing the spread of the virus. We are also carefully watching the inventory of PPE, including gowns, masks, gloves and other supplies, given the global shortages.”

The hospital has implemented some changes to the way patients return to facilities:

  • The hospital campuses in Akron and Boardman have limited entrances, and they are equipped with screening stations where everyone entering the building will be screened for fever and other signs of illnesses.
  • For outpatient visits, only one caregiver may accompany the patient.
  • Everyone, including all employees, patient families and visitors older than age 2, is being asked to wear a face covering. Visitors who do not have a face covering when they arrive will be given a cloth mask. These masks will be collected at exit, professionally laundered and recycled due to limited supply.
  • They are taking additional steps to ensure proper social distancing in all areas of facilities and have increased cleaning protocols to further prevent the spread of Covid-19. Floor decals and signage will remind visitors to keep a 6-foot distance from others, and cafeterias will be available for take-out food only.
  • In primary care and pediatric specialty offices, they will be implementing new text/call options that will limit patients’ time in the waiting areas.

The hospital said it would release additional details in the coming days.

RELATED: Gov. DeWine says doctors can begin performing elective surgeries for first time since March 17