NewsLocal NewsAkron Canton News


Employee dies after getting caught in machine at Canton Fresh Mark plant

Posted at 7:09 PM, Dec 16, 2017
and last updated 2017-12-16 21:03:27-05

An employee was killed in an accident at a food service company in Canton Saturday. 


The Canton Police and Fire Department were called to the Fresh Mark's Harmont Avenue NE location at approximately 4:50 p.m. for a report of a person caught in a machine.


Stark County Coroner's office confirmed the employee was Samuel Martinez, 62, of Canton and a native of Guatemala.


Rick Walter, and investigator for the coroner's office said Martinez stepped in a chute and got caught in a waste auger. 


The coroner will be preforming the autopsy Sunday morning.


"This afternoon just before 5 pm, we experienced a work-related fatality at our Canton facility. Our primary concern rests with the wellbeing of this employee's family, as well as with the safety and wellbeing of all our employees in the Canton and other Fresh Mark facilities. We are working with authorities to determine the facts regarding this incident," said Brittany Julian, Director of Marketing at Fresh Mark in a statement to News 5. 


This is the second work-related death at the Canton plant since it opened in 1976. In 2011, a worker at Fresh Mark’s Canton plant was electrocuted when he tried to plug in a fan while standing in water. 


Fresh Mark is the owner of Sugardale Foods, Sugardale Foods Service and Superior’s Brand Meats.