NewsLocal NewsCleveland Metro


5 juveniles taken into custody following police pursuits that ended in crashes in Cleveland

Posted at 3:53 PM, Dec 21, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-21 17:29:25-05

CLEVELAND — Authorities are investigating two pursuit crashes that ended with multiple juveniles being taken into custody on Friday.

According to East Cleveland police, officers pursued a vehicle into Cleveland that was connected to a robbery in East Cleveland. The chase ended after the suspect vehicle crashed.

At the same time, other East Cleveland officers were pursuing a vehicle connected to a robbery that happened in Maple Heights. That pursuit also ended with a crash in Cleveland.

According to Cleveland police, one of those crashes ended on East 105th Street and Morrison Avenue. CPD says an East Cleveland cruiser crashed into a civilian car. EMS responded to the scene and transported four people to a nearby hospital for treatment.

A total of five juveniles were arrested in connection with those pursuits, according to East Cleveland police.

In an unrelated event, Cleveland police pursued a vehicle into East Cleveland where the suspect vehicle crashed resulting in the death of a 13-year-old girl.

Authorities said that pursuit began on West 117 Street in Cleveland around 3:20 p.m. after a woman exiting Target was approached by a man with a gun who demanded her vehicle.

An off duty police officer witnessed the incident and trailed the vehicle, authorities said. The suspect vehicle got on Interstate 90 and headed east. A CPD Second District supervisor then pursued the vehicle into East Cleveland.

The suspect vehicle later crashed in the area of Euclid Avenue and Lakefront Road. The 13-year-old girl was walking in the area when she was struck by the fleeing vehicle.

A 15-year-old boy was arrested and a gun was confiscated on the scene, according to police. A second male fled the scene on foot and has not yet been apprehended.

RELATED: 13-year-old bystander killed during police pursuit that ended in East Cleveland, 15-year-old boy arrested