The start of February also marks the start of Black History Month.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Cleveland Public Library are among the museums and sites around the city hosting special events starting this week.
Check out the list of events below:
Cleveland Public Library
The Cleveland Public Library will host programming throughout the month including recommended books, keynote speakers and musical performances.
- Feb 3 -- African American history month kick-off
- Feb. 6 -- Anthony T. Browder, founder and director of IKG Cultural Resources, will speak on “African Origins” on February 6th at 3 p.m. in the Main Library.
- Feb. 18 -- Dr. Khalil Gibran Muhammad, the Director of the Schomburg Center for Research on Black Culture at the New York Public Library, will speak on “The Criminal ‘Injustice’ System” at 7 p.m. at the Main Library in the Louis Stokes Wing Auditorium.
- Feb. 27 -- Exploration of rural Ohio’s African American history through the Knox County archives
- March 1 -- Street Lit and African American Girls discussion
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Feb. 10 -- Black Music Matters: Cleveland - Panel Discussion
- Feb. 19 -- Sonic Sessions: Casey Veggies
- Feb. 19 -- Super Seventies Soul - A Black History Month Celebration
- Feb. 24 -- Live Interview with Inductee Rahiem, rapper from Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
- Feb. 26 -- Screening of 808: The Movie (Rock Hall 2016 Film Series)
- Feb. 26 -- Super Seventies Soul - A Black History Month Celebration
City of Cleveland
The City of Cleveland celebrates Black History Month with this year's theme "Cleveland: Faces of Sacrifice."
- Feb. 4 -- The Faces of Media at noon
- Feb. 6 -- Flag Raising 11 a.m.
- Feb. 10 -- The Face of Arts & Entertainment at noon
- Feb. 12 -- The Face of Culinary Art - Healthy Soul Food at noon
- Feb. 17 -- The Face of Women's Health at noon
- Feb. 19 -- The Faces of Religion (Invitation Only)
- Feb. 26 -- Salute to Health at noon
- Feb. 20 -- The Face of Gospel Music at 6 p.m. at Mt. Zion Congregational Church
- Feb. 22 -- The Faces of Seniors at noon
- Feb. 24 -- The Face of Small Business at noon
- Feb. 26 -- The Faces of Sacrifice (Invitation Only)
- Feb. 28 -- The Face of An Abolitionist at 3 p.m. at Rainey Institute